Thursday, August 26, 2010

Penelope, Northanger Abbey, and Persuasion

So, last weekend was super fun!

Friday:
Had my cousin Kim come over to watch 'Northanger Abbey' before I had to go to our Relief Society Sleepover. I liked it all except for the end. I watched the PBS version and it was TOO short. They crammed in the love part of it all in 2 minutes. BLAH! We had a great time though. I need to see if I can find another version to watch... one that is preferably longer than and hour and a half.I was super worried about the sleepover. A) I am 30, and most of our sisters are younger... so I was worried that I wouldn't really fit in. B) We were sleeping on a hard floor. C) I was pretty sure I would be in bed by 10:30p. So I was pretty nervous, but hey, I had to support our decision to have this "Back-to-School Sleepover! Ok, I was up until 3:00a (there were only 3 of us up that late), I clicked SO well with everyone there~ making some enduring friendships, and I didn't sleep comfortably at all, but I didn't care! We watched 'Penelope', which has now become one of my favorite movies. Why? It teaches people that it's not what is on the outside that matters (meaning looks... I mean come on, some of us were not blessed with hottness), and that it's what is on the inside that matters! LOVE that movie! Plus, James McAvoy gives a skip in the 'ol heart in the kiss scene at the end. mmmmm!

Saturday:
Nap
Kim came back over... this time wearing a Jane Austen dress she made herself and all dazzled up as if she lived in that time period. She was GORGEOUS!! We all decided (me, Tricia, and mom) that we need to make a dress for ourselves and all dress up one night... wouldn't that be fun?! We watched 'Persuasion' and was not as impressed with the version we saw either. Don't get me wrong, the main guy was nice looking... but it was too short (an hour and a half). Then I suggested we watched 'Penelope' so that they could see how cute it was. (NOTE: Yes, I went out and bought it that morning because I liked it so much!) We all loved it, and yes, we watched the kiss scene twice! ;o)

Tasks:
Need to check out different versions of 'Persuasion' and 'Northanger Abbey' (any suggestions?)
Make Jane Austen dress to hang out in with Kim.
Remind myself that it's not what I look like on the outside that is important... it's what's on the inside that matters most!Watch kiss scene in 'Penelope' again ;o)

1 comment:

Lady Parks said...

Missi, that version of PERSUASION is HORRID!! Don't watch it again. The best version out there is the Ciaran Hinds version - it's still flawed, but vastly better than that piece of &@$*! where she runs around Bath at the end in a very unladylike manner!

That NORTHANGER ABBEY is the BEST! I love it! But it is WAY too short, I will agree with that. Why go to all that effort to create a world only to truncate it so much? I've only ever seen one other version, an atrocity from the 1980s that has inappropriate music (was it electric guitar or saxophone? I can't remember).

Have you seen the most recent SENSE AND SENSIBILITY? It's actually got a few things about it I really like, despite the depressing lack of Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon (the guy they got instead is just terrible). I own both versions because they both have merit. You should check it out! It's much longer than 1.5 hours, thankfully.

Also, check out the recent JANE EYRE with Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson. Yummy!!

Is that enough opinion from me for one day? I think so.