Monday, September 20, 2010

The Date Box

Are you ready for this one? Really? Since the Brethren of the Church piloted the new singles wards program, and our small town of Hooper was the first Ward created...I have been going to church with great guys and gals from my small, delightful town. I am cool with that... only, I am the oldest one there by a few years. AWKWARD. If it wasn't for my calling I would have checked myself into the nunnery! Our Bishopric decided to help us poor farm kids get with the program, meaning they created "The Date Box." What is this? It's a terrible little box where ANYONE in the ward can suggest themselves or others to be matched up and sent on a date. The Bishopric approves the match and bang... the happy couple go on a date. Why am I against this you ask? Think. If a young man is not interested in a sweet girl, then he shouldn't have to be forced to ask her out. It's a waste of time for both involved. Sure, sure, we are to go and enjoy ourselves... have fun.... but take if from someone who has had MANY first dates, not getting a second date with someone you had a really good time with is quite hard on the 'ol self-esteem. Especially the older you get. So there I was, driving home without a care in the world (meant as a figure of speech... I have a lot of cares. That is why I am in Stress Management right now!) when I got a phone call from our second counselor. Yup, someone submitted MY name. If any fellow wanted to ask me out I would hope they would do it for themselves, not because someone made them ask me out. (Hence, my non-existent dating life.) Finally, I think this whole idea is making us lazy! *crawling down off soap-box* Thank you!

5 comments:

Jewelsp said...

Missi! First, I love you. Second, please don't let your bishopric share this idea with my bishopric. I think my whole ward would freak out.

Good luck!

Jessica Fox said...

ha ha ha Missi. You totally spoke my mind! My friends laugh at me every time i tell them something about the Date Box!!! ha ha I'm so glad i found your blog. I'm totally going to blog stalk you now. I hope you don't mind. ;)

- Jessica Fox

ourloudfamily said...

Missi, we will talk on Sunday about the date box.....

Tanis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tanis said...

"Matchmaker, Matchmaker,
Make me a match,
Find me a find,
catch me a catch
Matchmaker, Matchmaker
Look through your "box",
And make me a perfect match" :-)