Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Open Heart and Blessings


So, I am reading this little book that my dear friend Kaija is letting me borrow. It's called "A Heart Like His: Making Space for God's Love in Your Life" by Virginia Hinckley Pearce. Already I have noticed a difference in my life! I am really trying to open my heart to let the love of the Lord shine through and heal me and others. It has been a wonderful blessing to me. I am happier all around because of this experiment.

Lately I have been really trying to get out of debt... meaning, keeping money in my account and not overspend... yes... I have that problem in my life. I tend to think that I am ok finanacially, then I balance my checkbook and PHEW! I am opposite of what I thought. I say this because spiritually, I am the same way. I get into "spiritual debt", if you will, and then when I balance my life, I see how far I am from where I need to be.

I was listening to Elder Bednar's talk on the way to work today. It was his one about "Praying Always". Let me back up. I have been saying quick, non-communal prayers. You know, the type where you do the basics and close. I haven't been listening... I haven't been making the time to expand on some of my feelings and desires, etc. Well, today for our family prayer, I asked for the normal safety while driving to and from work, and that those around me will be safe to. (Now I am caught up to the first of this paragraph). So, I was listening to Elder Bednar's talk, when this car/mini-suv swerved and spinned on the road, traveling from the right side of the freeway to the left. I think he wanted to exit on 500 South in Bountiful (which is to the left of the freeway instead of the right). Immediately I paused the talk and thanked my Father in Heaven. I thanked Him that the car did not hit any other car, nor did it rollover; and I thanked Him that I was not involved in any kind of crash. If I was yards closer, I would have been hit. It made me realize, that even if I am basic, and even if I don't feel like I am communing with Our Father, he still will bless me, and believe me, my faith has been strengthened in this. After this moment, I began to take the opportunity to commune with Him. I told him about some concerns, and it was a sweet moment!

Anyway, I am loving the "open heart" experiment, and I am grateful for God's love!
;o)

2 comments:

Jason and Tricia said...

Missi-
I am just catching up on all of your blog posts (I have been really behind since we didn't have internet there for a while), and I have enjoyed reading what you have said. You are such an amazing person, and I am lucky to have you as a sister! I love you so much, and I am so thankful for the chance we have had to let our relationship grow to what it has. You just make me laugh! I have so much fun with you. And I am also so thankful for the AMAZING Aunt that you are to my kids. They absolutely ADORE you, and they are so blessed by having you in their lives. Aww, this has turned into a mushy comment....sorry! ;o) I love you lots!

Kaija said...

Hi! Its a great book huh! Love it! Its been so fun hanging out with you! We totally are forever friends! Or Bosom friends! ha ha!